Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NST] Boulder Dash in other levels?
Hello,

I'm currently fiddling with the Alchemist to learn more about how Crash NST modding works.
I've managed to change a few things by editing some values and it worked well.

However I'm now trying to add the Boulder mechanic from Boulder Dash to NSanity Beach (which might not be the best level for this as there are two camera paths but I just want to see if it works for now). It's quite easy to make Crash spawn at the end of the level and place the end portal at the start of the level by editing some values, but adding the Boulder is something more complex.

This is what I tried:

1) Create a new .alcmod

2) Import from L101_NSanityBeach.pak :
    - maps/.../L101_NSanityBeach_Hazards.igz

3) Import from L104_Boulders.pak :
    - maps/.../L104_Boulders_Hazards.igz
    - vsc/common/* which contains stuff related to hazards and "Chase" mode
    - vsc/Crash1/* which contains an element called "BoulderSafetyTrigger"

4) Replace L101_NSanityBeach_Hazards.igz with L104_Boulders_Hazards.igz (Replace within PAK)

5) Install the .alcmod and launch NSanity Beach

I know that I would still have to edit a lot of objects related to the Boulders (triggers, paths, collision?...) to make it work for this level, but currently this leads to an infinite black screen after the loading screen so I can't test further.

After exploring the memory with CheatEngine, it seems that there may be an issue with loading the vsc/common/Crash1/L113_BoulderDash/common_ChaseActivated_FallAwayPlatforms.igz file (see attached picture), but it's already in the .alcmod archive

Do you know if such a thing would be possible, and if this is the correct approach ?

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Copying the response I gave to a generalised version of this question here:

(30-05-2023, 06:43 AM)ARD Wrote: This is technically possible to do with Alchemist but not supported that well because that's what my level editor is for.

If you weren't concerned about breaking things or sharing the mod then the easiest way to do it would be to import the igz file you want into the level pak you want to add it to. If you tick the boxes for importing all dependencies and generating a new package file and then save the pak, when you play that level the extra file should be loaded.

To get that in alcmod form you should then be able to create a new alcmod and import both the file you added and the level's _pkg.igz file, this time importing all dependencies but not generating the package. And you can just make a copy of the level pak you're using instead of importing to the original, and then delete it when you're done, to avoid modifying the original level files.

The main issue with this though would be that level files often reference other level files and so doing something like loading L102_JungleRollers_Crates.igz into L101_NSanityBeach.pak will include other files from Jungle Rollers that do weird things like make you respawn in the wrong place and with the wrong camera after you die. The simplest fix for that is probably to go into the strings section of L102_JungleRollers_Crates and replace the references to other files like L102_JungleRollers_Cameras with nothing or gibberish.

So it is theoretically possible but only with some annoying workarounds. Level editor obviously takes care of all this stuff automatically if you don't mind the wait  Tongue

The specific reason for the black screen in your case is because even though that file does exist, it's not included in the package file.