Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TNT crates in N. Sanity Beach
[Image: 731490_20240413202844_1.png?ex=662da6c1&...height=676]

This feels like it would be such a simple task but I believe this is either my 4th or 5th attempt of trying to get this to work, I'm happy I didn't give up this time. The process of importing files from other levels and getting rid of all/most of the issues is extremely annoying to do and is probably why ARD wants everyone to wait for the editor to release. I was able to do this by combining a lot of information I've picked up over the last year or two which I will list out for anyone curious.

For disabling objects (like crates) I remembered this clip from an ARD video: https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxus71Fi6VEFW...II9Hn_hj_b
After re-watching it and going into the Sunset Vista Bonus file I looked at the differences between the enabled and disabled crates to find a correlation and after a lot of messing around with hex values I found out you can disable things by decreasing the hex entry shown in the image below by 1.
[Image: image.png?ex=662da938&is=661b3438&hm=e93...y=lossless]
The ability to disable things like crates and other bits of junk you get by importing Jungle Rollers makes this process much smoother (although still annoying).

As for actually importing the necessary Jungle Rollers files (or whatever file you want to import into a level) ARD made a pretty good "guide" in reply to someone else's question which I quoted below. I would also recommend watching this video by ARD to better understand how this stuff works as he explains "_pkg.igz" files (some of the content in the video is outdated and the actual tool the video is about is obsolete with the existence of Alchemist).
https://youtu.be/RDfVmRAkOAk?si=GGpRGF_yCQ4SwBD_

(30-05-2023, 06:43 AM)ARD Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 05:11 PM)McCrodi Wrote: 1. Can you add stuff from other levels by using it and making it into a proper .alcmod? (even if it breaks the game)

This is technically possible to do with Alchemist but not supported that well because that's what my level editor is for.

If you weren't concerned about breaking things or sharing the mod then the easiest way to do it would be to import the igz file you want into the level pak you want to add it to. If you tick the boxes for importing all dependencies and generating a new package file and then save the pak, when you play that level the extra file should be loaded.

To get that in alcmod form you should then be able to create a new alcmod and import both the file you added and the level's _pkg.igz file, this time importing all dependencies but not generating the package. And you can just make a copy of the level pak you're using instead of importing to the original, and then delete it when you're done, to avoid modifying the original level files.

The main issue with this though would be that level files often reference other level files and so doing something like loading L102_JungleRollers_Crates.igz into L101_NSanityBeach.pak will include other files from Jungle Rollers that do weird things like make you respawn in the wrong place and with the wrong camera after you die. The simplest fix for that is probably to go into the strings section of L102_JungleRollers_Crates and replace the references to other files like L102_JungleRollers_Cameras with nothing or gibberish.

So it is theoretically possible but only with some annoying workarounds. Level editor obviously takes care of all this stuff automatically if you don't mind the wait  Tongue

This feels like a rather pointless thing to post about here as this isn't some new discovery, but I know a lot of people have asked questions (including myself) like "How can I put x thing from this level into this other level?". Most of those questions would be answered by going through some variation of this process and ARD is too busy to make extensive guides on this stuff. so I'll document how I did this to hopefully (but probably not) help someone. (make sure to save between every step for the most part)

1. I created a Duplicate file of "L101_NSanityBeach.pak" and I opened it in an Alchemist window
  2. In Alchemist I hit Import from PAK and imported "L102_JungleRollers_Crates.igz" while importing all dependencies and generating a package file
  3. After saving, I then created a new alcmod and Imported the entire modified "L101_NSanityBeach.pak" file
  4. To get rid of the remnants from importing another level I disabled "CPlayerStartEntity: PlayerStartAll" (player spawnpoint) inside of "JungleRollers.igz" and disabled the camera by setting a bunch of the strings in "JungleRollers_Cameras.igz" to gibberish (I believe changing L102_JungleRollers_Cameras is the correct one)
  5. As for the crates I went into the crates file for Jungle Rollers and manually disabled everything in there besides a single crate to use as the TNT crate
  6. Crate editing is documented in here to a semi-decent extent and I wont get into that here

None of this would be known about if ARD hasn't spent thousands of hours messing with this nightmare that some call a game and I wish him luck with his level editor to make this process a whole lot simpler for people. I'm personally gonna use this new knowledge to continue working on my level mod and I hope someone else can benefit from a (hopefully) more concise guide as to how to do this. I would advise waiting for the editor as this process is rather annoying and probably gets much worse for other things that aren't crates.

Heres the Alcmod file if anyone is curious at seeing what it looks like or wants to use it as a template for starting a mod for whatever reason
https://github.com/shadowygaming/Project...g/tntbeach
or
https://www.mediafire.com/file/z22jwf5ccvlk9bg/